Episode Highlights (aka Why You Should Listen aka TLDR)
- What about data analysis exactly is important
- Why he thinks accuracy is more important than the consistency
- He convinces me to use Running Power Meters moving forward!
- What consistency means under the context of doing data analysis as a career (we talk about this a lot)
- Why and how he tracked for 400 days straight what he ate down to the calorie
- Why is a master of some and having curiosity in different disciplines works to his advantage in staying fit
- Why you shouldn’t be a sourpuss when you invite your friends to your races
- What a proper post-race dance-off is like
- And much more!
About J Mike Remy
- Haitian born now Massachusetts, USA based person that likes to sweat
- 6:38:26 Ironman distance ride (112 miles)
- 3:57:48 marathon
- 5:58:23 DIY 50k (I followed this and it was an epic loop around his house)
- I found him through the #BlackMenRun hashtag on IG – we became fast friends and I had to get him on
- Hardcore runner (wakes up very early, trains very hard, and will run in whatever weather to get it done)
- Doesn’t identify as a runner or cyclist. More of an activity enthusiast who loves to get out and again – loves to sweat
- He was overweight a few years and had some blood tests done that showed him a potential dangerous future. He changed most of his health and fitness habits after this event.
- Fixed gear steel cyclist
- Data specialist by day
- Father of two at night
- Vegetarian – I still have an egg and some honey here and there
- Plant-based Vegan Athlete
- Awarded “Spirit of Volunteerism” from City of Cambridge, MA
- Aims to be a good ambassador of planet earth and represent mankind well
- “No one is going to care about that race time you got. They’re going to remember how you felt & how they felt in the time together.”
- “Often people think I’m kidding about having a post race dance party. I assure you I would never joke about that.”
- “A good nutrition plan is boring. Tracking data allowed me to see that. I feel good when I have simple grains and lots of beans. “
- “I’m gravel curious… my next bike might be a gravel bike. I might try it out a little bit”
- “Becoming a plant based athlete was a natural progression after cleaning up my nutrition and diet”.
Episode Links & Learnings
- How To Have a Post Race DanceOff
- Vegetarian Running Diet
- How to track nutrition
- Power to weight ratio
- Lance Armstrong – the lie
- Stryde running power
- Triathlon Taren
- Donate to – The Greater Boston Area Food Banks
- Remy’s Epic Instagram Photos
- Trainer Tires link
Original Music Used Here
- Master Of Some
- Gregorian Glitch (Ad Break Music)
- Security Comfort Rich (Instrumental)
- Born Without Ears
- Producer, Rapper, DJ (Instrumental)
- Expectations (Instrumental)
Sponsor – MOS COACH SPONSOR
This episode is brought to you by MOS COACH. If you are struggling to perform better as you get older, hit up our one on one coaching service. Whether you’re 16 or 60, we are all ageing. Setting goals, forming habits, and organising your life isn’t easy. Let us help you because you haven’t reached your peak, yet!
Sponsor – Three Thing Thursday
Like what you’re hearing? Want to train and live consistently to do dope shit with your health and fitness? Sign up for our newsletter “Three Thing Thursday”. We’ll put three perfectly created and curated things in your inbox. This will be regular motivation ranging from tips, tricks, tools, tactics, and skills. And…. they all revolve around being a better human in endurance sport and wellness.
Sign up now to receive my quick guide on how to get healthy, stay fit and use data to create habits that last a lifetime! Go here to be inspired and motivated on the regular!